Messe Wien is situated in the 2nd district of Vienna, known as Leopoldstadt, and was opened in 2004. It was built on the original site of the 1873 Vienna World Exhibition and is embedded between the ‘Prater’ quarter – first documented in the 12th century, Ausstellungsstrasse, the new ‘Viertel Zwei’ area of the city established in 2010, and the Vienna University of Economics and Business opened in autumn 2013.
Messe Wien Exhibition & Congress Centre occupies 15 hectares of land, provides 70,000m² of expo space, a congress centre and the landmark office tower topped with a striking 96m lattice steel cone structure. The complex is linked up to two U-Bahn train stations, Messe-Prater and Krieau on the U2 line, and to three parking garages and two hotels.
And we couldn’t be more centrally accessible! Few other populous cities of the world of Vienna’s size (1,757,353 – 1st January 2012) can offer such short distances and travelling times to their expo and congress venues:
- 4 km by car or 10 minutes on the U-Bahn underground train from St.
- Stephen’s Cathedral at the heart of the city.
- 3 km or 5 minutes by car from the Handelskai exit on the A23 inner city motorway.
- 15 minutes on the U-Bahn underground train from the Westbahnhof interchange.
- 18 km or 18 minutes from Vienna Airport by car via the Ostautobahn motorway.